A Discussion on Table Top Games

Anyone that knows me is aware that I am a huge fan of Table Top games. While I usually focus on TTRPGs, with most of my time dedicated to a number of different 5e campaigns, I love playing more traditional board games as well. If you’ve been on a video call with me in the past few months, you’ve seen the precariously stacked boxes in the background - one day I’ll find a proper place for them.

I’ve collected a few classic games such as Betrayal at House on the Hill, Munchkin, and Red Dragon Inn as well as my husband’s favorite Star Realms (because he consistently kicks my butt at it).

I’m also a huge fan of the concept of Grimslingers and love the titan of the table top world https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven, but they’re both such a ridiculously complicated game to set up each time that I always put off playing them, haha.

I was interested in what kind of table top games the community was into and if you had any suggestions!

I absolutely LOVE tabletop games. Me and my spouse spent a while trying to find some good 2 player games. Our favorite is 7 Wonders Duel for 2 player. My all-time favorite board game is Near and Far (not just because I’m awesome at it :laughing:) Super fun game that has a ton of depth and long-term play capabilities such as built in expansions, beginner rules vs experienced rules, campaign mode, and a book of maps so each game you can play on a new map. It can be played 2 player as well but plays totally different with 4. Definitely a longer game can run like 3 hours sometimes. I also like that you cant play the same way and expect the same results every time, you really have to adjust to what you have. My FAVORITE part is the giant book of stories/quests that go along with each map and are intertwined in the gameplay.

https://www.redravengames.com/near-and-far/

By far my favorite table top game is Dead of Winter. It is a mostly cooperative game of up to 5 players working together to survive a zombie apocalypse.

The group has a main objective which can change from game to game. It might be get a certain amount of medicine, kill a bunch of zombies, or just survive a number of rounds. Each round also has its own objective to complete, like getting enough food or supplies. You do this by moving the unique cast of characters each player controls to different locations. Each character has different abilities and strengths. Moving around and fighting zombies is dangerous though as you might take damage or have one of your characters die!

It is also a very story heavy game as there are event cards that can randomly trigger each turn that add another level or narrative and decision making. For example, a plane crashed down. Do you send someone out and potentially get hurt but come back with a lot of food or ignore it?

Now, I said it was mostly cooperative as most of the time you are all working together to survive and complete those objectives; however, at the start of the game everyone has a secret objective. It is usually to complete the main objective and to do something else like have a gun on all your characters or have a bunch of food. What makes it interesting is there is a small chance that someone has the secret object to make sure everyone else loses!

One of the best play throughs I have had: We had completed the main objective on the last round (a pretty hard thing for new players) and it was the very last player’s turn of the game. Turns out, he was the betrayer the entire time and saved everything in his power to make the rest die on the very last turn! It was nuts but great fun.

1 Like

For my birthday, we went to a cafe where for $5 a person you can play any of the hundreds of board games. I’d head good things about 7 Wonders, so I picked up 7 Wonders Duel for my wife and I to play while there. It was a nice game that was pretty easy to pick up.

Near and Far sounds excellent.

So I watched the trailer and read a little bit of the material and the art style reminds me strongly of The Cones of Dunshire

Can you give me an TL;DR on what a general playthrough looks like? What kind of game is it?

1 Like

I’ve not heard of 7 Wonders before, but it looks like it plays like Splendor. Is that one based around Resource Management as well?

I have been playing a lot of Tokyo Highway lately. It’s a great mix of strategy and actual physically placing pieces and having to have a steady hand. I highly recommend it for people who like a tactile experience coupled with strategy.

Oh now that’s interesting. It looks like a mixture of Jenga (or Don’t Break the Ice) and Ticket to Ride. How long can a game of this go for? Is the goal to get the most number of cars on the track?

Oh man - I LOVE secret objective games! Shadow Hunters is another secret-objective game that I never get to play (bc you need like - at least 4-6 people at a minimum, haha). I really like table top games that offer that style of randomness in a given playthrough that changes how the game is played. It makes you think differently about each game and the way you approach it.

LOL it kinda feels like it! So the short version is you win the game by having the most victory points at the end. To get VP you can do quests, build settlements, build VP cards, do certain actions, etc. Scores arent totaled up until the game is over! You can do a wide variety of stuff to get there - the game play is so fun and the artwork is just amazing!

1 Like

Gosh, I’m such a sucker for good boardgame art. If you haven’t looked into the game Grimslingers, it was sold basically on it’s artwork and design alone, lol.

Me and my nephews actually worked our way through Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion earlier this year in preparation for the full Gloomhaven experience and it was an excellent introductory game.
I’m also a fan of Small World as an alternative to risk.
Generally speaking, I love games that favor skill and strategy more heavily than luck and therefore support aggressive players or are so chaotic that chaos is a ladder.

I love 7 Wonders Duel - the main game 7 Wonders is also fantastic if you get more players!

I have added Star Realms to my list! I love deck building games.

I already had Dead of Winter on my wish list apparently!