SolarCycle Feature

Hello all, no reporting of an issue, just sharing and a small question at the end.

To regression test configuration for a multiple subsidiary customer we run tests locally on laptop.
Meaning I have a fully functional BY wms installed on my laptop and can switch to different subsidiaries if needed. I use customized inbound/ outbound and inventory features from the WMS Bundle.
All in all running these tests can take up a lot of time and I often revert to running them out of office hours.

Mainly for fun and a little out of interest I hooked my laptop running a Cycle feature to a somewhat oversized powerbank I own. My case being : can I solar charge the powerbank during daytime and run Cycle in the evening/ at night on that charge.
In the Netherlands we do have a lot grid tied solar but we are not allowed to use big battery’s for storage.

Running feature in ‘cli’ mode resulted in this :

100 + watts solar charging and on average 45 wats to power my laptop while running this feature.
Off course this data is all relative, depending on the feature, your laptop etc.

What I do notice is the difference between running in ‘cli’ mode versus running this straight from the Cycle app. Running it from Cycle app almost doubles the power draw.

My laptop and my ears definitely prefer the ‘cli’ mode :slight_smile: No fans kicking in during the long testing !!

1. Is this extra power needed to run inside of the app due to maintaining things like the front end, output pane ?

2. What would you expect regarding this aspect when Cycle enters the cloud ?

Like announced, not an issue, just not sure where to share this post.

That makes sense. When cycle-cli alone is running, it’s basically just the execution engine running the test. When you’re running Cycle via the GUI, the same execution engine is still running, plus the electron app that is the GUI, and additionally the engine starts up an http server for the electron app to communicate to the engine over a web socket.