Which tools do you find most useful for capturing requirements for implementations and rollouts?

Hi Cycle Community. We want to hear from you!

We are developing new integrations for popular tools and services in our platform. We want to ensure we are making our platform as user-friendly and helpful as possible for our clients. Instead of selecting the tools we feel are best, we want to let you weigh in. So tell us - how do you capture requirements for large enterprise system implementations and rollouts, and what tools do you find most useful?

We want this to be a group discussion, so be sure to comment on the thoughts of others as well if you resonate with them. The more insight we have, the better our platform will be!

3 Likes

Honestly for me right now, most of my requirements gathering is done for internal Cycle Labs initiatives. These days I spend most of my time collecting requirements in either Aha! or Notion.

I think if I had a plug-in to Notion that validated and reported on the status of some of our internal business processes I would use that almost religiously. There are certain integrations and processes such as integration from our CRM into our Project management solution and/or integration between our Billing software and our Accounting software that are critical to doing my job.

I could make a similar case for Aha! as most of the time my notes tend to migrate from Notion to Aha for implementation and socialization.

I commonly use the phrase, “I’m old school…”

I miss real actual white boards with the markers that smell terrible in big meeting rooms where we can dig in and hash it all out together in order to get started building something. I’ve been in hundreds of these rooms over the years, and honestly after we get consensus on the thing we need, its my opinion that the team recording the notes/requirements/conclusions needs to be comfortable and proficient in the tooling used to capture those important items. If my customer or team is comfortable in notepad, so be it. Equally, I’ve used rather complicated flow charting tools as well. They work great, so long as the expertise to use them is well distributed.

In recent years, I’ve tended more toward those text based tools that allow a distributed team to contribute to a document easily – Google Docs works.